Thursday, October 23, 2014

Essay for Week 10: Native America Review

Native America Review

For the last couple of week’s I read the stories in the Native America section. I thought that the section was satisfactory. Overall I would give it a 7/10. I enjoyed the readings, and they were all very creative. The first story I read was called “Hero Tales (Thompson). This was my favorite story! Since I am already in love with Hero’s and epic adventures, it was only natural for me to choose this one, and I really enjoyed it. I like how most of the stories had a moral point. Besides the main plot, there was also an overall meaning of the stories.  In the Jealous Uncle story, the little boy had to look past his uncle’s wrong doing. Toward the end of the story however, the uncle crossed the line and the boy killed him. The story about the Bluejay was also great. The adventures were so random that it made the story fun.

My least favorite story was the one I read this week called “Indian Fairy Tales” These Stories just didn’t really stand out to me that much. Most of them were hard for me to follow. There was one story that I really enjoyed and that was the one with the North Wind. Other than that story, the most interesting think within this section was Iagoo. I chose to write my storytelling post over Iagoo because I feel like he is the most important part within the fairy tales. He makes it all happen, and without his stories, none of this would be possible.

I learned from this reading section that most of the Indian stories have deep meanings within the story. Basically the story is never just told for “fun.” Most of the stories were also pretty graphic and ruthless with the deaths of major or minor characters, but it wasn’t distracting or anything. It was just something I noticed. Overall, I was a little surprised about how well the section turned out. It was definitely enjoyable.

Tipi by: John C. Grabill
More info on Tipi's: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. I thought about doing that reading for this week, but seeing as I’m already in another class called Native Authors of Oklahoma I didn’t want to do it, ha ha. And yeah, lots of those tales end up being really confusing. The Eskimo Folk Tales unit was less so, but some stories were still pretty weird. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete