Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1 Storytelling: The Hunters

The hunters

Journal Entry #4: It has been 10 weeks since the outbreak and civilization was destroyed. Life as we know it was changed. Cities became wretched places filled with grass growing through the asphalt and buildings. Emptiness amongst the buildings gives you the feel that you were alone. The countryside was barren. All that remains on the planet was the survivors and the hunters…

The hunters were the main reason for the almost complete determination for the human race. Around 5 billion people have been killed already. What makes the Hunters unique is that the beings them selves are unknown. From what is known, the Hunters are a type of organism that can infect any type of life form. Some of which include, plants, animals, people, and fish. What is most recognizable about them is that once something is infected they receive incredible strength and intelligence. Their main goal is to pursue and kill so that they can pass on the infection to your corpse.

Journal Entry #5: I just stumbled across and old abandoned cabin in the middle of a forest. It seems like a safe place to stay for now. There is bedding here and also food. Looks as if there may be some kind of camp here.

“I have no time to worry if there or others I must focus on my mission.”  Saying aloud to myself.

Later that night, I was awoken by the sound of leaves crunching near the cabin. As I peeked through the window saw 2 figures coming toward the cabin. I couldn’t tell if they were bad but I decided to hide inside a closest in the room. As they all came into the cabin I could her one of them shout, “Finally! We are back from that supply run and got some great stuff. I’m going to go put up.”

“AHHHH!!” he screamed. “What the heck are you doing in here? You almost got yourself killed. What is your name!”?

I answered. “My name is Clem and I’m the daughter of Dr. Richard Murphy. Sorry to intrude. I just needed a place to stay they night before I go back out on my mission. “

“Mission? The man responded. “What kind of mission are you on? Aren’t you like 10 years old little girl?” “Actually I’m 12. What is your name?”
“Well my name is Kenny,” he responded. “Well anyways, what about this mission? What are you trying to do?

“Before my dad died. He found a way to kill of the Hunters forever. All I have to do is make my way up north east and find the castle that has the machine to detonate this special EMP bomb I have.” I said, with a bit of fright.

“Ok, lets go!” Kenny said, “I’ll help.”

As the two went start their journey, they headed north. A couple hours passed and there was still not anything in sight. Not knowing really where to go Kenny and I found a big bridge, which they could rest for the night. Once they there, as they started to sit down, a group of vampire bat came flying out. There were at least 200 of them and some of them started to circle us. We began to run. If they were to bit us then we could either die or become infected and turned into a hunter. We ran until they stopped chasing us. After, we came across a small cave where we stayed the night.

Journal Entry #6: After my crazy night with the bats, Kenny and I were forced to walk east because there was a big mountain in the way. We came across an abandoned laboratory 3 or so hours later. I thought for sure that this was the place I needed to be.
As we searched the Lab we continued to look for the machine needed to use, but it was nowhere to be found. I was split up from Kenny searching somewhere else. I went to go find him but he was gone. I raced to he entrance and I saw people tie him up and race on foot with him over the shoulder. There was nothing I could do they were so far away.

I am alone.

After walking for a few more days. I came across a huge house. It must have been the castle my dad was talking about but it looked strange. I walked up to the entry and opened the door. The squeak from the door echoed throughout the place. It was extremely dark and quiet inside.
Suddenly I heard a noise. It was a strange moaning sound. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from, but it was getting louder and louder. I tried to light up the room with a lighter I had but it was not working. As I keep trying to brighten up the room, the sound kept getting louder and louder!
“Flick…..Flick.. NO! Please! No! Flick…


Part 1

(By: burzinski)

Authors note:

This story is inspired by Tom Gauld. He made the picture called the Map of the Area Surrounding Our Holiday Home. What I like the most about this picture is that many different stories can be told from it. In my point of view the area around the cabin looks almost apocalyptic to me. This is were I wanted to derive my story from, and with all the other random scary items in the area, It seemed best to make it a thriller. My story ends abruptly because I wanted to try and scare the reader. I wanted he or she to feel a sense of danger while reading. 


5 comments:

  1. Wow creepy! You sound way more creative than I am! This story kinda reminds me of I Am Legend, which completely freaked me out. Post-apocolyptic stories are always really interesting to me and I've read a few books. It's like cool in a creepy-what-if-this-really-happened way which I think is intriguing. Will you finish the story? I would like to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative story. I love scary and creepy stories and I found yours to be very interesting. The dialogue between the characters was great. I found it hard to create dialogue but I think you made the speech flow very nicely! Your take on the ending is different and definitely left me wanting more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative story! You took a simple picture and made your own complete take on it. The "hunters" in the story remind me of the of the zombies from the World War Z movie. Pretty frightening! I definitely see some inspiration from the Walking Dead Telltale games though; go Clem! I like the picture you chose for the story as well. It definitely fits the creepy atmosphere to created for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anthony,

    I am so glad I chose to read your story! I loved it so much. I love suspenseful stories, especially post-apocalyptic stories. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for the last part, and I wish the story continued so I know what happens! I agree with Cody Whatley about the hunters reminding him of the zombies from World War Z. I also saw the parallel between your story and the Walking Dead game. I loved your story!

    ReplyDelete